Tulip Time with a Twist
HOLLAND, Mich, March 2, 2021 – Tulip Time Festival (www.tuliptime.com) announces the 2021 Festival Events.
Let’s face it, 2020 was a bust with lockdowns, closed businesses and cancelled events due to the aggressive onset of COVID-19. While we must remain vigilantly cautious, we can step out in the fresh air, walk among the beautiful tulips and welcome spring!
Few places can match the beauty of Holland in the spring when millions of tulips burst forth with amazing color in local parks, fill attractions and line the streets. Holland will be beautiful and our Tulip Time celebration will continue – albeit with a twist.
The health and safety of our visitors, volunteers, and community are of utmost importance. Following the CDC directives and guidelines issued by the State of Michigan, which currently stipulate no more than 25 people can gather outdoors at an event, we must forego some of our most enduring festival events this year – parades, Dutch Dance performances, and the carnival. We have also elected to postpone the unveiling of our first ever Tulip Immersion Garden, but that gives us all something to look forward to in 2022, when we can experience this fabulous exhibit to its fullest!
Of course, some events will still happen – but with a twist.
- The Tulip Time Run will now take place virtually. Run; walk; anytime; anywhere! Registrants will receive a participant bib and medal. Run shirts and hoodies are also available.
- The Michigan Maritime Museum returns with dockside tours of their tall ship ‘Friends Good Will.’ The ship will sail into town and dock on the north wall of Boatwerks Restaurant. Reservation and ticket information will be available soon from the Museum.
- The annual Quilt Raffle will take place April 15 – May 9. Purchase tickets at the Tulip Time Office, Holland Visitors Bureau, and Apothecary Gift Shop, for a chance to win this beautiful handmade quilt.
- Yoga in the Tulips will be offered again amidst the tulip gardens at Window on the Waterfront. This is a ticketed event.
- Each year hundreds of talented artisans display their unique wares at the Artisan Market. This year the market is going virtual and the shopping experience expanded to April 24 through May 9.
- A final determination from the State of Michigan Health Department on whether the Dutch Marktplaats and Dutch Dance Costume Exhibit can take place is still pending.
In addition, there are new, inventive ways to celebrate Tulip Time.
- The community will have a chance to purchase potted tulips soon! Pots containing 8-10 imported tulip bulbs will provide a burst of color this spring to all who purchase.
- Downtown Walking Tours will run throughout the week. On this two-mile tour, led by a costumed guide, you will learn about Holland’s history, points of interest, and more. Fun and informative for visitors and locals alike. Tickets on sale soon.
- Tulip Time posters from 1982-Present will be on display at the Holland Area Arts Council. This is a free event.
- Experience the fun of discovery as you participate in the Tulip Time Scavenger Hunt. This is a free event.
- Several other plans are still in development. Watch for more information on Drive-thru food concessions, photography and floral arranging classes, Princess Lida encounters, and specials offered by downtown businesses.
Full details on all of these happenings, including on-sale dates for ticketed events, will be available at www.tuliptime.com.
Moreover, let’s not forget the reason we celebrate Tulip Time in the first place – tulips! Thousands have been planted in city parks, at Windmill Island Gardens, and along miles of Tulip Lanes. Enjoy their splendor as they bathe our city in color. Tulip maps will be available at the Holland Visitors Bureau and the Tulip Time Festival Office.
Tulip Time will continue to follow the recommendations and directives of the CDC, the State of Michigan and our local health department, and will adapt our plans accordingly. Please watch our website, follow us on Facebook, and join our email list for continuing updates.
Save the date!
Tulip Time 2022, May 7-15, 2022