Pedals in Bloem 2024
To celebrate 95 years Tulip Time is planning another fun and engaging public art project! Because this year‘s theme is Bikes & Blooms, we are calling on artists, artisans and community organizations to create temporary sculptures using bikes and bike parts. The sculptures will be displayed throughout the downtown during the 2024 festival
ABOUT THE ARTWORK
Participants are asked to demonstrate creativity and craftmanship while creating their sculptures using a bicycle and/or bike parts. We will be posting some “idea fuel” on the Tulip Time web site, and we will provide a bike for each accepted proposal. We want participants to draw inspiration from many different sources. Think famous artists - Van Gogh, Vermeer, Mondrian, Rembrandt. Use books, legends, word play or a song as inspiration. Take flower “pedals” to a whole new level. Feel free to paint, embellish or deconstruct and reconstruct a bicycle into a totally new shape. In other words, we want these bicycle sculptures to be colorful, whimsical, and fun.
ABOUT THE PROCESS
Participants will submit a proposed design by October 20, 2023, and selected artists will be able to pick up their bicycle and/or parts to work on over the winter. All other sculpture-making supplies are up to the artists/makers. Finished works will be displayed throughout the downtown during the 2024 festival.
THE PEOPLE'S CHOICE AWARD
Tulip Time will create a walking tour map of the bicycle sculptures and there will be a “scavenger hunt” as well as a People‘s Choice vote feature for visitors to participate in during the festival. The creator of the winning sculpture in People’s Choice vote will win $500.
• Artists, organizations and businesses are welcome to participate.
• Participants will submit a proposed design to Tulip Time via mail or email by October 20, 2023
• All sculptures will be affixed to a stand (see image at left), and artists must make sure that their creations will fit into this stand, be stable, weather-resistant, and able to stand for the 10 days of the festival.
• Selected sculptures must be delivered to the Tulip Time Warehouse at 115 West 5th St., Holland by (April 15-18).
• All sculptures MUST be available for display from May 1 - 11, 2024.
• Sculptures are the property of the artist and may be offered for sale. Tulip Time will retain 30% of the sale price if sold during the festival.
• By submitting to this competition, all artists are agreeing to have their artwork posted online.
PROCEDURE AND DATES
Oct. 20, 2023:
Submit a detailed drawing of your sculpture idea with completed submission form via mail or email to the Tulip Time office: 42 West 8th St., Holland, MI 49423 OR TTartwork@tuliptime.com
Oct. 30, 2023:
Applicants will be noitified.
Oct. 31-Nov. 3, 2023:
Those selected can pick up bicycles & bicycle parts and begin working on their creations.
April 15-18, 2024
Deliver finished sculptures to the Tulip Time Warehouse at 115 West 5th St., Holland. We will make delivery arrangements
with each artist.
May 4-11, 2024
Bicycles will be on display throughout downtown Holland and voting will take place.
May 11, 2024
Winner of People’s Choice Award will be announced.sculpture in People’s Choice vote will win $500.
Please direct all questions to Lorma Freestone at (616) 403-1015 or email@example.com